Accountant, Maternity Leave Replacement, iNova Credit Union, Halifax, NS
Maternity Leave Replacement – Accountant
Reporting to the General Manager, the Accounting Officer is responsible for performing of variety of accounting functions and preparing a variety of accounting reports and analyses relating to the general ledger, member and credit union accounts to assist management in making prudent financial decisions.
- Verifies, posts and balances various business transactions including funds received and disbursed, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Prepares and processes general journal entries to various G.L. accounts. Balances journal entries to General Ledger and maintains general ledger accounts.
- Prepares and maintains various schedules including Fixed Assets, Prepaid Expenses, Accounts Payable and balances to G.L. control account.
- Performs daily checking of computer reports to verify accuracy of postings. Takes action on any errors identified to ensure they are corrected.
- Processes accounts payable including obtaining necessary approvals, preparing accounts payable cheques.
- Completes credit union internal accounts and current account reconciliations.
- Prepares the monthly financial statements (balance sheet and profit and loss statement) including variance analysis.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual capital and operating budgets for the credit union.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual audit working papers and provides assistance to external auditors, regulatory auditors and internal auditors.
- Administers bi-weekly payroll including preparation and balancing of the payroll, preparation of T-4s, and making payroll remittances (income taxes, CPP, EI and pension remittance).
- Administers benefits programs such as vacation, sick leave and leave of absence.
- Administers the employee group benefits plans including Health and Dental, Group Life and Long Term Disability Insurances, Group RRSP, and Employee Assistance Program including enrolling new employees in benefits plans and providing benefits orientation; processing terminations and changes; processing billings from the insurance providers; and investigating and resolving questions about the benefits plans.
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned.
Minimum Hiring Qualifications and Experience:
The Accounting Officer will have successfully completed a diploma in Accounting plus have one to three years related experience and/or training in an accounting environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience. An applicant working on an Accounting Designation will also be considered.
To perform the job successfully at 100% competency, the incumbent must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Written communications
- Work planning and management
- Software proficiency
- Knowledge of products and services
- Knowledge of policies and regulatory environment
- Knowledge of financial principles
- Financial accounting
- Decision making
- Business acumen
To learn more about this opportunity or to express your interest, please send your resume and cover letter and mail to: email@example.com before the closing date on December 31, 2016.
We would like to thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.