Accounting Officer (one-year term)
WHO WE ARE:
We are passionate people committed to top notch customer service and partnering with our credit unions across the Atlantic provinces to enable the Atlantic credit union system and the communities they serve to thrive.
We strive to empower and support the growth of our employees in our team environment and we want YOU to join our team!
Atlantic Central is currently accepting applications for a one-year term position of Accounting Officer.
WHAT WE DO:
Atlantic Central is the trade association for credit unions in Atlantic Canada, with offices in Halifax, Riverview, and Charlottetown. We provide a range of services, leadership and advocacy at the provincial, regional and national levels. Collectively, the 45 credit unions we support are entrusted to manage $6 billion in mortgages, loans and deposits on behalf of more than 300,000 Atlantic Canadians.
The company’s operations also integrate those of our subsidiary, League Savings and Mortgage Company, a federally regulated provider of wholesale banking services to credit unions, with assets under administration in excess of $2 billion. League Savings, a trusted credit union partner for over 50 years, is evolving its business model and is expanding into new markets and expected to experience significant growth over the next several years.
In the role of Accounting Officer, you’ll report to the Supervisor, Accounting Services and be responsible for performing a variety of accounting functions and preparing a variety of accounting reports and analyses relating to the general ledger to assist management in making prudent financial decisions.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Verify posts and balances, various business transactions including funds received and disbursed, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Prepare and process general journal entries to various G.L. accounts. Balance journal entries to General Ledger and maintain general ledger accounts. Reconcile sub-ledgers to the General Ledger and reconcile differences.
- Prepare and maintain various schedules including: fixed assets, prepaid expenses, accounts payable and balances to G.L. control account.
- Perform daily checking of computer reports to verify accuracy of postings, initiate action on any errors identified to ensure they are corrected.
- Process accounts payable including verifying accuracy of invoices and resolving any discrepancies, obtaining necessary approvals, preparing or coordinating preparation of accounts payable cheques.
- Complete current account reconciliations.
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly financial statements (Balance Sheet and Income and Expense Statement) including variance analysis.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual audit working papers and provide assistance to external auditors, regulatory auditors and internal auditors.
- Provide administrative support including preparing correspondence and reports; maintenance of the filing system; developing and maintaining the procedures manual for the incumbent’s job; and other general office administration.
- Assist and back-up the other members of the Accounting Department and complete other duties and projects as assigned.
This position will be able to work out of our Halifax office.
WHAT WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO HAVE:
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a diploma in Accounting plus have 1-3 years related experience and/or training in an accounting environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
THE COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Demonstrated understanding of basic accounting practices, procedures, and terminology
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Access)
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong ability in the following behavioural competencies:
- Adaptability to Change
- Customer Service Orientation
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Strategic Orientation
This is a one-year term position and is rated a Salary Level CU-4 ($43,791 – $51,519). Atlantic Central offers a competitive contract benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on March 17, 2020.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, including salary expectations, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)