Accounting Officer (Term Position)
Atlantic Central is currently accepting applications for the term position of Accounting Officer to perform a variety of accounting functions and prepare a variety of accounting reports and analyses related to the general ledger to assist management in making prudent financial decisions.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Accounting, the Accounting Officer is responsible for:
- Verifying posting and balancing various business transactions including funds received and disbursed, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Preparing and processing general journal entries to various GL accounts. Balancing journal entries to General Ledger and maintaining general ledger accounts. Reconciling sub-ledgers to the General Ledger and reconciling differences.
- Preparing and maintaining various accounting schedules and balancing to the GL control account.
- Performing daily checking of computer reports to verify accuracy of postings.
- Processing accounts payable and preparing or coordinating preparation of accounts payable cheques.
- Completing current account reconciliations.
- Assisting in the preparation of the monthly financial statements including variance analysis.
- Assisting in the preparation of the annual audit working papers and providing assistance to external auditors, regulatory auditors and internal auditors.
- Providing administrative support including preparing correspondence and reports; maintaining the filing system; and other general office administration.
- Assisting the other members of the Accounting Department and completing other duties and projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a diploma in Accounting plus have 1-3 years related experience and/or training in an accounting environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate will also have the following skill set:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated understanding of basic accounting practices, procedures, and terminology
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Access)
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong competencies in:
- Adaptability to Change
- Customer Service Orientation
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Strategic Orientation
This is a thirteen-month term position and is rated a Salary Level CU-4 ($38,501 – $45,295). Atlantic Central offers a competitive contract benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on Tuesday, September 11, 2012. Interested candidates should forward their résumé, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
PO Box 9200, Station A
Halifax, NS B3K 5N3
Email: email@example.com (When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)