Accounting/Asset Liability Officer
Atlantic Central is looking for an Accounting/Asset Liability Officer to perform a variety of accounting and asset liability management (ALM) support functions and prepare various reports and analyses.
Reporting to the Manager, A/L Services, the Accounting/Asset Liability Officer is responsible for:
- Preparing and processing general journal entries to various G.L. accounts. Balancing journal entries to General Ledger and maintaining general ledger accounts. Reconciling sub-ledgers to the General Ledger and reconciling differences.
- Assisting in the preparation of the monthly financial statements (Balance Sheet and Income and Expense Statement) including variance analysis.
- Assisting in the preparation of the annual audit working papers and providing assistance to external auditors, regulatory auditors and internal auditors.
- Preparing and maintaining various schedules including, but not limited to, Fixed Assets, Prepaid Expenses, Accounts Payable and balances to G.L. control account.
- Processing accounts payable including verifying accuracy of invoices and resolving any discrepancies, obtaining necessary approvals, preparing or coordinating preparation of accounts payable cheques. Maintaining the procedures manual for the incumbent’s job.
- Assisting and backing-up the other members of the Accounting Department and completing other duties and projects as assigned.
Asset Liability Support
- Providing administrative support in various ALM functions, including but not limited to: compiling monthly ALM billing information for credit union billings; retrieving information to generate data tables and graphing related to projected interest rates; maintaining various spreadsheets such as the CU monitoring overview for analytical purposes and for ongoing and ad-hoc reporting.
- Extracting information from credit union financial statements and inputting information into Excel for use in the preparation and generation of CU monitoring overview reporting. Reviewing for errors and anomalies that need to be corrected / investigated.
- Participating in the preparation and generation of CU ALM reporting, including gathering and preparing data from various sources (e.g. data downloads and manual inputs); populating data into ALM model software; identifying problems, anomalies that could affect modeling results; reconciliation with CU’s financial statements.
- Performing the following duties in support of the quarterly statistics reporting: creating quarterly statistics templates, collecting required data from various sources for reporting purposes, populating templates, reviewing for errors and anomalies that need to be corrected/ investigated.
- Acting as a backup to the AL Analyst in their absence, and providing assistance as required.
- Completing other duties and projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a degree or diploma or actively pursuing a degree in Business Administration or a related discipline plus have 1-3 years related experience and/or training in an accounting or finance environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate will also have the following skill set:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated understanding of basic accounting practices, procedures, and terminology
- Advanced proficiency in using Excel, with a working knowledge of other Microsoft Office Applications (Word, PowerPoint and Access)
- Proven organization skills to maintain data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Demonstrated proficiency in creating, composing and editing written materials and reports
- Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong competencies in:
- Adaptability to Change
- Customer Service Orientation
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Strategic Orientation
This is a permanent full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-4 ($39,175 – $46,088). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on Monday, December 9, 2013.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
PO Box 9200, Station A
Halifax, NS B3K 5N3
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)