WHO WE ARE:
We are passionate people committed to top notch customer service and partnering with our credit unions across the Atlantic provinces to enable the Atlantic credit union system and the communities they serve to thrive.
We strive to empower and support the growth of our employees in our team environment and we want YOU to join our team!
WHAT WE DO:
Atlantic Central is the trade association for credit unions in Atlantic Canada. We provide a range of services, leadership and advocacy at the provincial, regional and national levels. Collectively, the 45 credit unions we support are entrusted to manage $10 billion in mortgages, loans and deposits on behalf of more than 300,000 Atlantic Canadians.
As a subsidiary of Atlantic Central, League Savings and Mortgage is a federally regulated provider of wholesale banking services to credit unions, with assets under administration in excess of $2 billion. Our cooperative values drive our culture and how we do our business. League Savings is evolving its business model and is expanding into new markets and expected to experience significant growth over the next several years.
Atlantic Central is currently accepting applications for a Commercial Analyst.
In the role of Commercial Analyst, you’ll report to the Assistant Manager, Commercial and Lending Services and be responsible for making a significant contribution to the continued growth and soundness of the commercial mortgage portfolio, by ensuring we deliver exceptional member experience to existing and perspective clients, while optimizing credit risk. This will be done through the timely preparation and analysis of credit applications, and ongoing monitoring of our portfolio through the relationship management and account review process.
LSM is an active participant in the Canada Mortgage Bond (CMB) market, and the successful candidate will assist with timely analysis of potential CMB transactions and preparation of credit submissions and providing support to the collection of delinquent commercial loans.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Conducting appropriate due diligence and analysis to determine the strength of complex loan applications including: conducting comprehensive analyses of the applicants’ financial statements, cash flow, business performance history, profitability and personal net worth of shareholders to assess credit worthiness and compliance with the company’s commercial lending policies and guidelines; conducting market research and completing detailed credit application for presentation to the appropriate credit authority; completing applications for CMHC Certificate of Insurance.
- Contributing to business development activities of Atlantic Central & LSM by contacting existing clients and acting on identified potential lending and/or deposit business opportunities. Assisting in building and fostering relationships with AC and LSM partners and borrowers by attending joint meetings, information sessions, etc.
- Preparing commercial mortgage annual reviews by conducting credit investigations, gathering pertinent information, analyzing financial statements, carrying out site inspections (as required), pricing reviews, updating risk ratings and recommending required actions. Identifying opportunities for borrower’s additional financing needs.
- Conducting detailed analysis of potential Canada Mortgage Bond (CMB) transactions and preparing credit submissions to include in a recommendation to LSM’s Executive Committee.
- Assisting in the collections activity in relation to commercial accounts and the foreclosure and sale of commercial properties, as required, including but not limited to: contacting and negotiating with delinquent borrowers to secure payment and ensuring that properties are inspected and adequately secured.
- Staying current with market information and commercial mortgage market trends, including but not limited to, conducting research as required to help identify business development opportunities.
This position will be able to work out of our Halifax office.
TRAVEL AND EVENING AND WEEKEND WORK:
This position requires occasional travel, sometimes overnight, throughout Atlantic Canada and occasional evening and weekend work.
WHAT WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO HAVE:
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in Finance or a related discipline plus have a minimum of 5 years Commercial Lending experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
THE COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Experience in the commercial mortgage sector with proven sound lending judgement.
- Proven ability in using a solutions focused approach in dealing with loan applications.
- Must be comfortable in analyzing complex financial information to identify trends and determine the applicant’s ability to service the proposed mortgage.
- An ability to interpret information and prepare proposals in a format that is easy to read and understand outlining the strengths and weaknesses of the application.
- Working knowledge of CMHC application process and criteria pertaining to the insurance of multi residential real estate financing.
- Working knowledge of commercial real estate and appraisal techniques in relation to commercial real estate financing.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Knowledge of government lending programs
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong ability in the following behavioural competencies:
- Change Leadership
- Building Relationships and Partnerships
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Developing Others
- Strategic Orientation
This is a full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-7 ($63,578 – $74,798). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on March 5, 2020.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, including salary expectations, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)