Atlantic Central provides liquidity management, payments processing and trade association services that support the credit unions of Atlantic Canada. The Central provides leadership, advocacy and a range of support services in the fulfillment of these key functions. League Savings and Mortgage (“LSM”) is a subsidiary of Atlantic Central and provides commercial and retail mortgage financing in support of credit unions, credit union members, and through broker services.
As a result of significant growth in our commercial mortgage portfolio, Atlantic Central is currently inviting applications for the key position of Commercial Analyst. The successful candidate will make a significant contribution to the continued growth of the commercial mortgage portfolio, by ensuring we deliver exceptional member experience to existing and perspective clients, while optimizing credit risk. This will be done through the timely preparation and analysis of credit applications, and ongoing monitoring of our portfolio through the relationship management and account review process.
LSM is an active participant in the Canada Mortgage Bond market, and the successful candidate will assist with timely due diligence on the acquisition of multi residential commercial mortgages from key 3rd party providers.
Reporting to the Manager, Commercial Lending, the Commercial Analyst is responsible for:
- Assisting with analyzing complex commercial loan applications including comprehensive analysis of the applicant’s financial statements, cash flow, business performance history, profitability and personal net worth of shareholders to assess credit worthiness and compliance with the company’s commercial lending policies and guidelines.
- Contacting existing clients and acting on identified potential lending and/or deposit business opportunities.
- Preparing commercial mortgage annual reviews including conducting credit investigations, gathering pertinent information, analyzing financial statements, visiting sites (as required), pricing reviews, updating risk ratings and recommending required actions.
- Conducting detailed analysis of potential Canada Mortgage Bond (CMB) transactions and preparing credit submissions for inclusion in a recommendation to LSM’s Executive Committee.
- Assisting with collections activity related to commercial accounts and the foreclosure and sale of commercial properties.
- Cross selling existing and potential clients the benefits of utilizing other LSM and/or credit union products and services.
- Acting as back-up to the Business Development Manager in his or her absence.
- Completing other duties and projects as assigned.
This position requires occasional travel.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in Finance or a related discipline plus have a minimum of 5 years Commercial Lending experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following skill set:
- Experience in the commercial mortgage sector and be able to quickly determine a good deal from a bad one.
- Have a strong desire to deliver exceptional member experience.
- Must be comfortable in analyzing complex financial information to identify trends and determine the applicant’s ability to service the proposed mortgage.
- An ability to interpret information and prepare proposals in a format that is easy to read and understand outlining the strengths and weaknesses of the application.
- Working knowledge of CMHC application process and criteria pertaining to the insurance of multi residential real estate financing.
- Working knowledge of commercial real estate and appraisal techniques in relation to commercial real estate financing.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Knowledge of government lending programs
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong competencies in:
- Change Leadership
- Building Relationships and Partnerships
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Developing Others
- Strategic Orientation
This is a full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-7 ($60,224 – $70,852). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on December 6, 2017.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)