WHO WE ARE:
We are passionate people committed to top notch customer service and partnering with our credit unions across the Atlantic provinces to enable the Atlantic credit union system and the communities they serve to thrive.
We strive to empower and support the growth of our employees in our team environment and we want YOU to join our team!
Atlantic Central is currently accepting applications for a Director, Finance.
WHAT WE DO:
Atlantic Central is the trade association for credit unions in Atlantic Canada, with offices in Halifax, Riverview, and Charlottetown. We provide a range of services, leadership and advocacy at the provincial, regional and national levels. Collectively, the 45 credit unions we support are entrusted to manage $6 billion in mortgages, loans and deposits on behalf of more than 300,000 Atlantic Canadians.
The company’s operations also integrate those of our subsidiary, League Savings and Mortgage Company, a federally regulated provider of wholesale banking services to credit unions, with assets under administration in excess of $2 billion. League Savings, a trusted credit union partner for over 50 years, is evolving its business model and is expanding into new markets and is expected to experience significant growth over the next several years.
In the role of Director, Finance, you’ll report to the Vice-President, Finance and be responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of the accounting system, leading the delivery of accounting and financial reporting services, and for analyzing and interpreting operating results and providing specific recommendations to Management. You’ll also provide effective leadership to champion the staff in the delivery of department objectives and customer satisfaction while creating and fostering an effective work environment conducive to successful operations.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Provide accurate and timely financial information including analysis and recommendations to assist in strategic decisions, policy setting, planning and control. This includes financial statements and other various internal and external reports.
- Establish, upgrade, document and administer financial accounting controls and processes including analysis and recommendations regarding the changes to generally accepted accounting principles and/or tax laws.
- Ensure effective and efficient financial reporting systems are in place to support decision making including management and regulatory reporting. Provide overall assessments and recommendations for improvement of operating efficiencies for the accounting and reporting systems and processes, including the design and implementation of accounting and reporting systems for new business initiatives and analysis and recommendations regarding processes in other departments.
- Develop and coordinate the budgeting process. Collaborate to develop budget assumptions and prepare and evaluate scenarios.
- Manage directly or indirectly the Finance department staff. Coordinate and supervise the activities of direct reports.
- Participate in and provide input into the development of corporate strategies and the corporate business plans. Develop, recommend, implement, and manage the Finance departmental plan and the annual department budget. Monitor performance results and take corrective action as appropriate.
- Provide subject matter expertise and strategic perspective and leadership on cross functional business initiatives as required.
- Participate in the development, implementation and maintenance of policies and procedures relating to financial management, budget, accounting and payroll. Ensure record systems are maintained in accordance with GAAP and regulatory requirements and ensure compliance.
- Coordinate the annual audit. Serve as liaison between the company and external auditors and regulatory authorities.
- Complete other duties and projects as may be assigned.
This position will be able to work out of our Halifax office.
WHAT WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO HAVE:
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a Bachelors degree with a concentration in Accounting or Finance and a professional accounting designation plus have 6-9 years experience in a senior financial accounting position (preferably in a financial institution), including supervisory experience; or have an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with projects involving the identification, selection and implementation of accounting and financial reporting solutions will be considered an asset.
THE COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computerized accounting software and Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated experience in Data Warehousing
- Experience in the implementation and development of accounting and financial reporting systems
- Proven planning skills (strategic and tactical)
- Proven ability in fiscal management and budget preparation
- Proven ability in making sound business decisions
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret financial data, assess risk, and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections and provide conclusions and recommendations
- Demonstrated ability in formulating policies and procedures and the implementation of new procedures
- Demonstrated working knowledge of financial services and risk management practices
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong ability in the following behavioural competencies:
- Change Leadership
- Building Relationships and Partnerships
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Developing Others
- Strategic Orientation
This is a full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-11 ($101,511 – $119,425). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on March 30, 2020.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, including salary expectations, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)