Director of Compliance, Eagle River
Credit unions are financial co-operatives; organizations that are owned by the very people who use their services and where every member has a say in how the Credit Union operates and where their money goes. Credit unions strive to strengthen the communities in which they exist by supporting local businesses and charities, promoting environmental sustainability, and giving back to their members.
At Eagle River Credit Union, we ask our employees to always work with the member in mind; and although technology is important, it is our approach to tailoring our products and services to meet the individual and unique needs of our members, along with our human-touch that differentiates us from other Financial Institutions. We are more than a bank!
Eagle River Credit Union offers one of the best compensation and benefits packages in Atlantic Canada that includes generous personal leave time, performance-based incentives, training and education reimbursements.
Telecommuting within Atlantic Canada is a consideration for this position.
Eagle River Credit Union with branches in 6 locations across Newfoundland and Labrador is actively seeking a strategic and results oriented individual to join our Senior Management Team. The Director of Compliance will provide strategic insight, leadership, direction and support regarding compliance risk strategies and related matters.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring that the Credit Union follows all provincial and federal regulations. Reviews and appraises the soundness, adequacy, effectiveness, and proper application of the Credit Union and its staff’s adherence to provincial and federal regulations.
- Assessing the adequacy and extent of programs designed to safeguard Credit Union assets.
- Ensuring that the day to day operations throughout the Credit Union are performed in a manner that provides high quality service while limiting the risk of losses while adhering to regulatory requirements.
- Assisting with planning, coordination and execution of internal audits; provide summary report of findings, as well as identify corrective action.
- Compiling and issuing reports detailing conclusions and providing recommendations for improvement. Prepares and files reports with government agencies as directed by law.
- Implementing, directing and overseeing the credit union’s compliance, fraud, and security programs.
- Assisting with all external audit and regulatory agencies.
- Conducting and directing ongoing compliance reviews of Credit Union controls, operating procedures, and compliance with policies and regulations.
- Compilation and issuance of compliance assessments and/or annual reports detailing conclusions and providing recommendations for improvements.
- Directing and appraising the activities, as well as coaching the compliance personnel.
- Conducting employee training and implement modifications to policies and procedures as needed.
Travel to the various branch locations will regularly be required.
The ideal candidate has: A university degree, as well as 6 to 9 years operational risk experience; experience in leading a team of staff to achieve robust outcomes; and specific knowledge of technology, business analysis and analytics, and risk frameworks.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume to HumanResources@ercu.ca or by mail to
Human Resources Department
Eagle River Credit Union
1 Church Street
Deer Lake, NL A8A 1C9
Eagle River Credit Union values diversity in the workplace and we are committed to the principle of Employment Equity. We encourage the recruitment and promotion of aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and women, to ensure that they are equitably represented at all levels of employment within the company.