Director of Operations – Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation
Organization: Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation, Newfoundland & Labrador
Position Title: Director of Operations
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Marystown, NL
Closing Date: February 2, 2020
Who we are
The Mandate of the Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation (CUDGC) is to provide risk-based regulatory oversight and deposit guarantees to enable a safe and sound credit union system in Newfoundland & Labrador. The primary role is to:
- Provide a guarantee of deposits held with NL credit unions
- Regulate NL credit unions and enforce the Credit Union Act
- Review, advise and direct credit unions on matters related to legislative compliance and sound business practices
- Monitor credit union performance and implement appropriate actions to improve performance and reduce risks
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the primary role of the Director, Operations position is to direct and manage the application of the supervisory review process by leading a team of professionals in the assessment of credit union corporate governance and control environments which manage/mitigate risk to depositor funds and the guarantee funds.
As a key member of the senior management team, the position works with a high degree of autonomy in leading the Marystown operations to ensure that risk-based supervision activities are applied according to the Corporation’s values and operating principles. In addition, the position is responsible for legislation interpretations, regulations and the effective strategic management of relationships with credit union CEOs/senior management and maintaining leading edge supervisory review programs through research and development.
- Leads the design and oversight of the risk-based monitoring program that serves in the protection of deposits and recognition of emerging risks
- Leads the review and approval of regulatory requests to ensure compliance with legislative and regulatory requirements
- Fosters a culture of shared, proactive risk management, and provides guidance and advice on credit union regulations in both operational and lending areas
- Creates positive change in corporate governance and risk management practices by facilitating the understanding of review results, making recommendations for improvement and gaining the commitment of the credit union’s board of directors and senior management to evolve their practices
- Manage strategic relationships with credit unions to align with corporate values of co-operation and collaboration
Experience and Qualifications
- 7-10 years of progressive experience leading a financial services organization, with experience in commercial credit considered an asset.
- advanced knowledge of one of the key areas of analysis (Strategic Orientation and Corporate Governance, Asset-Liability Management and Financial Analysis, Audit and Compliance, and Credit and Portfolio Management) with working knowledge in the others
- University degree in a related discipline e.g. business/finance/accounting, risk management certification, etc. is preferred
- an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply policy, legislation and regulation
- working knowledge of credit unions, the cooperative business model and working with boards of directors
- strong understanding of risk management principles, including portfolio risk, operational and credit risk
- advanced team leadership, relationship management and change management skills
- excellent relationship building skills with the ability to communicate both verbally and in writing with a wide variety of people
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement and apply an analytical approach to problem solving and decision making
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Conditions of Acceptance
- The Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation values diversity in the work place and is an equal opportunity employer.
- Disability related accommodations and alternate formats are available upon request at any stage of the recruitment process
- The successful candidate will be required to provide a recent Certificate of Conduct.
- Please note that, while we appreciate the interest of all candidates, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Applicants agree that by providing personal information in response to this ad, they consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personal information required for the purposes of recruitment. Personal information will be used solely for the purpose of recruitment considerations for a period of one year following closing date of this competition, unless otherwise noted by the applicant.
Please apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and salary expectations.