Director, Risk Management & Compliance
Atlantic Central provides liquidity management, payments processing and trade association services that support the credit unions of Atlantic Canada. The Central provides leadership, advocacy and a range of support services in the fulfillment of these key functions and is establishing a specialized Risk Management and Compliance service. The following position will be critical in delivering this new service.
Atlantic Central’s Halifax office is currently accepting applications for the position of Director, Risk Management & Compliance to be responsible for providing leadership, strategic direction, coaching and management to members of the Risk and Compliance team, including oversight of the daily functioning and operations of the Compliance, Enterprise Risk Management, and Business Continuity Management departments.
Reporting to the Vice-President, Strategic Change, the Director, Risk Management & Compliance is responsible for:
- Directing the implementation, evaluation and on-going development of the Risk Management & Compliance (RM&C) shared services centre function, including: delivering regulatory compliance services (AML, PIPEDA, FATCA, CASL, CRS) to participating credit unions; establishing, implementing, and maintaining appropriate processes; ensuring that all RM&C related frameworks, policies, procedures and processes comply with regulatory requirements; monitoring and managing the RM&C service level key performance indicators (KPIs); identifying and recommending quality improvements; supporting credit union customers with their implementation of RM&C frameworks, policies, procedures and processes.
- Managing the relationship between the RM&C department and its customer credit unions: managing service level agreements, fostering and maintaining effective relationships and strong partnerships with customers, and creating a culture of service excellence within the RM&C team. Diagnosing and resolving escalated service issues.
- Managing directly or indirectly the Risk Management & Compliance staff. Coordinating and supervising the activities of direct reports.
- Identifying opportunities to grow the RM&C customer base, promoting and marketing the RM&C shared services offering, closing the sale, and onboarding new clients.
- Working with executive management to establish and communicate the short and long-term vision and strategy for service delivery within RM&C.
- Projecting future RM&C infrastructure needs and works in collaboration with IT to identify risk and compliance technology options that are available to respond to needs.
- Acting as a key project stakeholder in any initiatives where Risk and Compliance is involved.
- Participating in and providing input into the development of corporate strategies and the corporate business plans. Developing, recommending, implementing, and managing departmental plan and the annual department budget. Monitoring performance results and taking corrective action as appropriate.
- Completing other projects and duties as assigned.
TRAVEL AND EVENING AND WEEKEND WORK:
This position requires some travel in Atlantic Canada and occasional evening and weekend work.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration and a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) designation plus have a minimum of 12 years’ relevant experience in a senior position with risk management and compliance responsibilities, ideally including experience directing and overseeing a centralized service delivery; or have an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A Master’s Degree in Business Administration or a professional accounting designation will be considered an asset. A Canadian Risk Management (CRM-E) designation will also be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will have the following skill set:
- Strong oral and written communication skills (including presentation skills)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven ability in directing and overseeing a centralized service delivery
- Sound knowledge of Risk Management & Compliance in the relevant regulatory environment
- Proven strong management and leadership skills with a track record of instilling a high performing customer service culture.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access)
- Proven strategic and tactical planning ability
- Proven ability in fiscal management and budget preparation
- Proven strong organizational skills and ability to coordinate RM&C initiatives.
- Proven ability to provide thought leadership to shape future decisions.
- Demonstrated ability in building relationships with customers, between teams, reporting lines and matrix structures and motivating team members.
- Proven ability to adapt to changing objectives and priorities.
- Proven analytical capability to solve complex problems and make timely decisions.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong abilities in the following competencies:
- Change Leadership
- Building Relationships and Partnerships
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Developing Others
- Strategic Orientation
This is a permanent full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-10 ($86,001-$101,178). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on August 19, 2018.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, including salary expectations, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)