Atlantic Central provides liquidity management, payments processing and trade association services that support the credit unions of Atlantic Canada. The Central provides leadership, advocacy and a range of support services in the fulfillment of these key functions. League Savings and Mortgage (“LSM”) is a subsidiary of Atlantic Central and provides commercial and retail mortgage financing and investment products and services in support of credit unions, credit union members, and through broker services.
Atlantic Central’s Halifax office is currently accepting applications for the position of Financial Analyst to analyze and interpret operating results and provide specific recommendations to Management; as well as, for the development, implementation, and maintenance of financial risk management processes and reporting. The incumbent will also be directly accountable to the Senior Manager, Treasury & Financial Reporting on both treasury and securitization functions, including the reporting and analysis of financial margin, liquidity, interest rate risk, and investments.
Reporting to the Director, Finance, the Financial Analyst is responsible for:
- Providing financial reporting and analysis to management, auditors, regulators, and others including monthly financial statement preparation and variance analysis and monthly and quarterly financial regulatory reporting.
- The preparation and analysis of audit working papers, responding to Auditor queries, and preparation of financial statements and notes, and other supporting working papers.
- Providing support for the annual budget process including preparation and analysis of budget working papers and assisting and supporting the departments in the preparation of their department budgets.
- Providing support for the administration of financial accounting controls and processes including identifying process improvement opportunities and partnering with stakeholders to implement process improvements.
- Providing input into the design and implementation of Finance departmental plans and objectives.
- Participating in the development, implementation and maintenance of policies and processes related to financial reporting, budgeting and accounting.
- Preparing and analysis of various financial margin, liquidity, interest rate risk, and investment reports.
- Providing backup support to the pre-securitization and securitization execution process and providing support to the post securitization monitoring function.
- Providing assistance to the Senior Manager, Treasury & Financial Reporting with the preparation of budget worksheets, year-end audit working papers, and responding to Auditor queries.
- Providing support for the administration of treasury controls and processes including identifying process improvement opportunities and partnering with stakeholders to implement process improvements.
- Providing input into the design and implementation of Treasury departmental plans and objectives.
- Providing back-up support, as required, for both the Treasury Reporting Officer and the Senior Manager, Treasury & Financial Reporting.
- Completing other duties and projects as may be assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Accounting or Finance, a professional accounting designation (CPA), or near completion, plus have 3-5 years’ experience in financial accounting, preferably in the financial services industry; or have an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven strategic thinking skills and ability
- Demonstrated proficiency of the Microsoft Office applications (Advanced Excel, Intermediate Word, Intermediate Access), financial accounting, and database applications
- Solid knowledge of accounting standards and financial principles
- Proven ability in fiscal management and budget preparation
- Working knowledge of accounting for financial instruments and regulatory requirements of financial institutions
- Proven ability in making sound business decisions
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and interpret financial data, assess risk, and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections and provide conclusions and recommendations
- Demonstrated working knowledge of financial services and risk management practices
- Proven ability in performing monitoring and compliance responsibilities
- Demonstrated ability in formulating policies and procedures and implementation of new procedures
- Proven ability in multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced environment.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong abilities in the following competencies:
- Change Leadership
- Building Relationships and Partnerships
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Developing Others
- Strategic Orientation
This is a permanent full-time position and the salary level is currently under review. Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on June 25, 2018.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, including salary expectations, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)