Financial Services Officer II, Mortgages
Atlantic Central is currently accepting applications for its subsidiary, League Savings and Mortgage Company, Halifax Branch, for the position of Financial Services Officer II, Mortgages to interview and examine, evaluate and authorize or recommend approval/decline of a borrower’s application for a mortgage loan and to promote and cross-sell existing and prospective clients on the benefits of using other LSM and/or credit union products and services.
Reporting to the Branch Manager, the Financial Services Officer II, Mortgages will be responsible for:
- Conducting interviews with applicants to obtain personal and financial data required for mortgage applications.
- Analyzing applicant financial status, credit and property evaluation to determine feasibility of granting mortgage. Preparing credit information necessary to establish approval limit and verifying applicant’s credit worthiness by obtaining credit bureaus, contacting employers and existing and/or former creditors. Approving or declining loans within approved lending limits or referring to the next higher approving level with recommendations. Notifying applicant and/or credit union of loan approval or denial.
- Compiling mortgage file by liaising with credit unions, direct applicants and/or mortgage brokerages to obtain the necessary documentation to assemble loan package and facilitating negotiation of loan structure with applicant, including rates, terms, repayment options and other credit terms.
- Receiving payout request calls and making contact with clients when payout statement request is received to determine reason for request in an attempt to retain the business.
- Analyzing potential lending and/or deposit opportunities to further assist the client. Cross selling borrowers on the benefits of utilizing other LSM and/or credit union products and services.
- Contacting existing members/credit unions at maturity to negotiate new renewal terms and identifying potential refinance opportunities.
- Assisting in managing acceptable risk, by negotiating enhanced interest rates that comply with company policies and procedures with all credit unions, brokers and direct customers.
- Managing relationships between the relationship management unit and credit unions by providing information to credit union staff to ensure they are kept up to date on LSM products and services and changes in the mortgage business.
- Assisting other members of the department as required and completing other duties and projects as assigned.
The successful candidate will have successfully completed a diploma in Business Administration plus have three to five years relevant experience in a financial institution, preferably a credit union; or have an equivalent combination of education and experience, as well as the following skill set:
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the policies and regulatory environment surrounding the mortgage process: underwriting, credit analysis, property appraisal, title work, disbursement, closing and accounting entries
- Proven sound lending judgement
- Demonstrated proficiency in calculating amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Filogix LOS
- Proven ability to perform basic mathematical calculations including computations of rates, ratios and percents
- Proven sales skills
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong competencies in:
- Adaptability to Change
- Customer Service Orientation
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Strategic Orientation
This is a full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-5 ($44,607 – $52,479). League Savings and Mortgage Company offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on Tuesday, June 17, 2014.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
PO Box 9200, Station A
Halifax, NS B3K 5N3
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)