Human Resources Generalist
Atlantic Central’s Halifax office is currently accepting applications for the position of Human Resources Generalist to be responsible for administering and/or coordinating the implementation and administration of human resource programs in departments and acting as a resource on human resources programs and matters; and providing advice, guidance, assistance, and support to managers and employees in the areas of recruitment and selection, performance management, total compensation, and employee relations.
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources, the Human Resources Generalist is responsible for:
- Liaising with and supporting the departments in the achievement of their human resources objectives; identifying HR support needs and providing and/or coordinating the providing of services to meet these needs; and collecting, preparing, and analyzing HR metrics to support corporate and department HR strategies.
- Administering the recruitment and selection process. Conducting turndowns with unsuccessful candidates. Coordinating internship and cooperative programs through the various universities and community colleges. Conducting evaluations to measure effectiveness of recruitment and selection program and preparing a semi-annual summary report of the results citing strengths of the process and recommendations for improvements. Preparing semi-annual reports on recruitment activity.
- Administering New Employee Orientation Process. Conducting 90-Day New Employee and Buddy Program surveys to evaluate effectiveness of the orientation process and preparing a semi-annual summary report of the results citing strengths of the process and recommendations for improvements.
- Administering the performance management process for all the phases of the performance management cycle – performance planning, interim reviews, and annual reviews. Providing coaching on performance related issues or escalating to the Director, Human Resources as appropriate. Conducting audits of performance management documentation. Recommending and providing or coordinating training of managers, employees and peer to peer coaches in the phases of the performance management process as required. Providing advice and guidance in identifying training and development opportunities and solutions.
- Administering the Total Compensation Program including implementing the compensation strategy and the administration of the salary administration guidelines; providing support, guidance and education to managers on preparation of salary budgets and compa-ratio placements; and coordinating the compiling and inputting of compensation data for external compensation surveys.
- Administering the Job Profiles process developing new job profiles and revising existing job profiles for changes in collaboration with the respective manager; conducting job evaluations of new and significantly changed positions; and making recommendations for salary structure placements.
- Serving as initial point of contact on employee relations issues and providing coaching or escalating issues of a more serious nature. Participating in the conduct of investigations of employee complaints or concerns brought forward as required. Providing advice and guidance to management on the corrective action process.
- Conducting research on trends and current developments for compensation, benefits, employee relations or related purposes.
- Providing input into the development of Management Policies and developing and maintaining supporting procedures for these policies. Providing advice and guidance on the interpretation of policies, procedures and documentation. Partnering with management to communicate Management policies and procedures.
- Liaising with the internal training committee and collaborating on the identification of needs and implementation of appropriate solutions for consistency in delivery of training and education. Providing advice and guidance on and oversight of the application of the training standards and philosophy for internal training sessions. Participating in identification of and coordinating development activities for internal trainers.
- Leading and contributing to the development of methodologies, tools and processes for a learning management system to track and monitor learning activities.
- Providing support in the involuntary termination process including liaising with Legal Services in the preparation of the termination letter and severance package, coordinating the termination process and logistics. Participating in the termination meetings as required. Administering the voluntary termination process and conducting exit interviews with departing employees.
- Providing support to the credit union HR consulting services as required.
- Serving as member/resources to the corporate Wellness Team. Administering the corporate EI Premium Reduction Program.
- Designing and developing e-learning modules of developed HR programs and maintaining the modules. Conducting training on HR programs as required.
- Participating in developing department goals, objectives, and systems and providing input into the development of the Human Resources annual budget for the department.
- Acting as primary back-up to the Human Resources Associate and assisting and backing-up other members of the Human Resources team as required.
- Completing other duties and projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a degree in Business Administration with an emphasis on Human Resources, plus have a minimum of three to five years of relevant experience in a Human Resources environment; or have an equivalent combination of education and experience. A CHRP designation will be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
- Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills including the ability to prepare reports, proposals, policies and procedures
- Demonstrated working knowledge of human resources practices and principles
- Demonstrated working knowledge of employment laws and regulations
- Demonstrated proficiency in the administration of HR programs
- Proven research skills
- Proven ability to work with all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated working knowledge of project management principles, practices and techniques
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and in using a Human Resource Information System
- Demonstrated ability to design and deliver educational programs and/or workshops using adult education theory principles
- Proven ability in maintaining a high level of discretion and confidentiality in handling confidential and personal information and in confidential personnel matters, situations and discussions
- Proven time management skills
- Proven interviewing skills
- Proven ability to handle multiple priorities and work collaboratively within a busy team environment
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure with minimum supervision.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong abilities in the following competencies:
- Change Leadership
- Customer Service Orientation
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Developing Others
- Strategic Orientation
This is a permanent full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-7 ($59,044 – $69,463). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on June 24, 2016.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)