WHO WE ARE:
We are passionate people committed to top notch customer service and partnering with our credit unions across the Atlantic provinces to enable the Atlantic credit union system and the communities they serve to thrive.
We strive to empower and support the growth of our employees in our team environment and we want YOU to join our team!
Atlantic Central is currently accepting applications for a Legal Counsel.
WHAT WE DO:
Atlantic Central is the trade association for credit unions in Atlantic Canada, with offices in Halifax, Riverview, and Charlottetown. We provide a range of services, leadership and advocacy at the provincial, regional and national levels. Collectively, the 45 credit unions we support are entrusted to manage $6 billion in mortgages, loans and deposits on behalf of more than 300,000 Atlantic Canadians.
The company’s operations also integrate those of our subsidiary, League Savings and Mortgage Company, a federally regulated provider of wholesale banking services to credit unions, with assets under administration in excess of $2 billion. League Savings, a trusted credit union partner for over 50 years, is evolving its business model and is expanding into new markets and expected to experience significant growth over the next several years.
In the role of Legal Counsel, you’ll report to the Director, Legal & Corporate Services and be responsible for managing Legal Services and providing legal, policy and compliance services to Atlantic Central and LSM, including drafting and reviewing various legal documents; conducting legal and legislative research; providing legal opinions and advice; assisting with the development and maintenance of corporate policies and procedures; assisting with contracts and document management; and providing compliance and corporate secretarial support.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Provide legal opinions and advice concerning a variety of issues including the legal feasibility of proposed services and other matters related to the business.
- Draft and/or review legal agreements, resolutions, by-laws and other documents to ensure that their respective legal interests are appropriately represented and protected.
- Develop and update legal templates and precedents.
- Conduct legal research and analysis and provide legal opinions and advice on a variety of issues including the legal feasibility of proposed services and other matters related to the business.
- Work with external legal counsel, as necessary, to provide advice.
- Monitor, review and analyze legislation affecting company and system operations. Communicate with and respond to questions regarding legislation. Provide advice and draft provisions relating to a variety of legislative matters pertaining to the operations of financial institutions generally, and the specific operations of Atlantic Central, LSM and the Atlantic credit union system.
- Develop, recommend and manage the Legal Services Department’s annual business goals and budget, monitor results, prepare reports, and take action as appropriate.
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of direct reports.
- Update the compliance management system and compliance review schedules in accordance with current legislation and company procedures and assist with responses to regulatory requests for information.
- Collect and organize corporate and contractual information, and assist with the development, management, and implementation of the legal department filing systems, and company-wide document and contract management systems. Determine document retention periods and assist with the development of document retention programs and policies.
- In consultation with other departments and executive management, identify and recommend areas where corporate policies, procedures and practices require development and where internal policies, procedures and practices can be rolled out to credit unions.
- Assist with research for developing and drafting corporate policies, procedures and practices, legal templates and precedents, in consultation with other departments.
- Assist Corporate Secretary as needed and assist and back-up the other members of the Legal Services team as required.
- Complete other projects and duties as assigned.
This position will be based in our Halifax office.
TRAVEL AND EVENING AND WEEKEND WORK:
This position requires occasional travel within the Atlantic Provinces and occasional evening and weekend work.
WHAT WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO HAVE:
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a law degree and be licensed and a member in good standing with the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society and have 3-6 years relevant experience; or have an equivalent combination of training and experience.
THE COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Demonstrated general knowledge and competence in the following areas: commercial contract law; employment law; creditor/ debtor law including secured transactions; property law, and corporate law
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to negotiate and manage contractual arrangements
- Proven ability in providing sound legal opinions and advice
- Proven ability in understanding and assisting with corporate secretarial practices
- Strong legal research and analysis skills
- Exceptional aptitude for accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven ability in maintaining a high-level of discretion and confidentiality in dealing with sensitive issues
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and corporate compliance systems
- Previous experience in policy development considered an asset
- Previous experience in project management considered an asset
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong ability in the following behavioural competencies:
- Building Relationships and Partnerships
- Change Leadership
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Developing Others
- Strategic Orientation
This is a full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-9 ($85,803-$100,945). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on April 30, 2020.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and résumé, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)