Legal Services Assistant (Summer Student)
With offices in Halifax, Riverview, and Charlottetown, Atlantic Central’s role is to provide liquidity management, payments processing and trade association services that support member credit unions in Atlantic Canada. Atlantic Central provides leadership, advocacy and a range of support services in the fulfillment of these key functions. Through our leadership and the excellence of our people, products and services, we support credit unions in becoming the financial institution of choice. Atlantic Central’s wholly-owned subsidiary, League Savings and Mortgage Company, is a federally-regulated financial institution that partners with member credit unions to provide mortgages and other financial services.
Atlantic Central’s Halifax office is currently accepting applications for the position of Legal Services Assistant (Summer Student) to provide high-quality, confidential research (including legal research), and project support to several departments throughout the company. This position also plays a key role in the development of corporate policies, procedures and guidelines.
Reporting to Legal Counsel, the Legal Services Assistant will be responsible for:
- Conducting research and analysis for Legal Services and other internal departments as required.
- Assisting with drafting agreements, and other legal documents.
- Assisting with the review and revision of corporate policies and procedures, as required.
- Assisting with research in developing areas of law for drafting new policies and revising existing policies and documents to reflect changes in the law.
- Performing legislative reviews as an integral part of the company’s compliance responsibilities.
- Assisting the Legal Services team with projects and presentations as required.
- Completing other projects and duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have completed at least one year toward a Juris Doctor (J.D.) or Bachelor’s degree from a law school at a recognized university. The successful candidate will also have the following skill set:
- Demonstrated understanding of basic office practices, procedures, and terminology.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work accurately and with exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to conduct research with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of discretion and confidentiality in handling confidential information.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and initiative.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Word, Access & Outlook).
Hours of Work:
Please note that this is a term position and the hours of work are 37.5 hours per week. The term for this position will be from May to August 2017.
Applications close on Friday, March 31, 2017. Interested candidates should forward their résumé, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
Email: email@example.com (When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format).