WHO WE ARE:
We are passionate people committed to top notch customer service and partnering with our credit unions across the Atlantic provinces to enable the Atlantic credit union system and the communities they serve to thrive.
This is an exciting time for the Atlantic credit union system as we build a shared service centre. Our first shared service, Risk Management & Compliance, officially launched on January 28, 2019 and we are looking for a Manager, Compliance to join our Risk Management & Compliance team. The ideal candidate we are searching for will bring a desire for superb customer service, team spirit, leadership experience and sound knowledge and excitement about Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Compliance functions.
We strive to empower and support the growth of our employees in our team environment and we want YOU to join our team!
WHAT WE DO:
Atlantic Central is the trade association for credit unions in Atlantic Canada. We provide a range of services, leadership and advocacy at the provincial, regional and national levels. Collectively, the 45 credit unions we support are entrusted to manage $6 billion in assets on behalf of 300,000+ members. League Savings and Mortgage Company is a subsidiary of Atlantic Central and has been a trusted credit union partner for over 50 years.
In the role of Manager, Compliance, you’ll report to the Director, Risk Management & Compliance and you’ll be responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Compliance functions of the Atlantic Service Centre (ASC), supervising support for customers and managing the AML and Compliance staff of the ASC.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Overseeing and serving as the subject matter expert on credit union requirements pertaining to AML legislation – Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act (PCMLTFA), other federal regulatory Compliance (i.e. PIPEDA, FATCA, CASL, CRS) and Remediation.
- Overseeing AML business-based risk assessments and submitting to customer.
- Overseeing AML relationship-based risk assessments and risk mitigation recommendations.
- Reviewing CASL risk assessment and submitting to customers.
- Completing final review of regulatory reports before issuing to customers and/or regulators.
- Ensuring proactive management of customer AML, compliance and controls issues.
- Evaluating customer requests for support with compliance, remediation, and regulatory audits (including regulatory review and reporting) and assigning appropriate Specialists. Approving proposed remediation plans.
- Managing vendor relationship with Verafin including: ongoing liaison, discussion of application enhancements, and troubleshooting issues.
- Maintaining the Regulatory Compliance Management (RCM) framework.
- Developing new training materials for topics related to the overall AML and Compliance functions, including Verafin specific training. Supporting the Compliance Specialists’ delivery of training to credit unions and delivering training to credit unions where content is complex or highly specialized. Maintaining customer training records.
- Identifying and making necessary changes to Compliance knowledge repository assets and approves changes proposed by the Compliance Specialists.
- Assessing the operation to identify efficiency improvement opportunities and implementing improvements.
- Coordinating and supervising the activities of direct reports.
- Representing the Compliance group with internal departments and external entities, including regulatory agencies.
- Providing input into the development of the corporate strategic plan related to Risk Management and Compliance. With the Director, Risk Management and Compliance, develops, recommends, and implements the Compliance department plan and budget. Monitoring performance results and takes corrective action as appropriate.
- Completing other duties and projects as assigned.
The position offers the ability to telecommute.
TRAVEL AND EVENING AND WEEKEND WORK:
This position requires occasional travel throughout Atlantic Canada.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration and possess a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) designation, plus have 5-7 years relevant AML experience in a financial institution, preferably a credit union, including experience overseeing a team of specialists; or have an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate will have the following skill set:
- Deep knowledge of the financial regulatory environment and requirements (i.e. AML, CASL, PIPEDA, FATCA, CRS)
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills and ability to enable RMC processes
- Strong oral and written communication skills (including presentation skills)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven negotiation and consultation skills
- Proven strong management and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to effectively work with diverse stakeholder groups and to interact with all levels of management and staff
- Demonstrated ability in designing and delivering educational programs and/or workshops
- Proven strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven decision-making skills and ability
- Proven ability to develop annual business plan and set/manage to a budget
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access)
- Proven ability in managing multiple deadlines and competing priorities
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong abilities in the following competencies:
- Change Leadership
- Building Relationships and Partnerships
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Developing Others
- Strategic Orientation
This is a permanent full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-8 ($71,148-$84,880). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on August 23, 2019.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, including salary expectations, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)