Manager, Financial Risk Management – Atlantic Central
Atlantic Central provides a range of support services to 49 credit unions across Atlantic Canada that includes liquidity management, payments processing, trade association services, and financial risk management.
With over $5 billion in assets, Atlantic credit unions provide banking services to thousands of Atlantic Canadians. To support Atlantic credit unions in this role, the Central is expanding its Financial Risk Management (FRM) services.
Atlantic Central’s Halifax office is currently accepting applications for the position of Manager, Financial Risk Management to be responsible for providing high quality financial risk management consulting and reporting services to Atlantic credit unions. This position will oversee the generation and analysis of interest rate risk reports, liquidity risk measurement reports and financial performance trending reports. The position will also consult with and provide training to credit union management and Boards of Directors in FRM concepts and strategies.
Reporting to the Director, Financial Consulting, the Manager, Financial Risk Management is responsible for:
- Coordinating and supervising interest rate risk (IRR) modelling and reporting services to Atlantic credit unions.
- Analyzing and interpreting IRR results based on various IRR risk measures, stress tests and scenario tests; recommending strategies to minimize negative impacts and promote financial stability.
- Advising credit union management on ALM strategies. Consulting with internal and external service partners in the analysis, evaluation and development of recommendations.
- Analyzing economic, interest rate and market forecasts and assessing implications to balance sheet risk management for credit unions.
- Coordinating and supervising liquidity risk reporting services to Atlantic credit unions including the performance of liquidity stress and scenario tests.
- Consulting with credit union management on liquidity forecasts; aiding credit union management in the development of annual liquidity plans.
- Participating in the design, implementation and monitoring of modeling processes and controls.
- Advising credit unions to ensure risks are appropriately addressed in their processes, policies, and procedures.
- Overseeing the generation and performing analysis of credit union and regional financial performance reports for internal and external users and identifying future reporting enhancements.
- Participating in the development and delivery of training and consultation sessions for credit union staff, management and Boards.
- Providing limited annual budgeting support to credit unions.
- In collaboration with the Director, participating in the review and refinement of FRM frameworks including the identification of opportunities for process improvements.
- Providing input into the development of the annual department plan and operating budget.
- Maintaining department process and procedures.
- Completing other projects and duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in Accounting or Finance, and either holding or working towards a professional designation in accounting or finance, plus have a minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in a corporate finance/treasury or risk management operations position (preferably in a financial institution), or have an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate will have the following skill set:
- Demonstrated understanding of accounting practices, procedures, and terminology
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven statistical, analytical and financial modelling skills
- Proven organization skills to maintain data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Demonstrated proficiency of the Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), financial accounting, and database applications
- Proven mathematical ability
- Demonstrated working knowledge of asset liability simulation modelling
- Comprehensive problem-solving skills with proven ability to analyze and interpret complex financial data, assess risk, and provide conclusions and recommendations
- Proven facilitation skills and ability
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong abilities in the following competencies:
- Change Leadership
- Building Relationships and Partnerships
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Developing Others
- Strategic Orientation
This is a permanent full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-8 ($69,373-$81,615). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on April 3, 2019.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, including salary expectations, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)