Payroll Specialist – Atlantic Central
WHO WE ARE:
Atlantic Central is the trade association for credit unions in Atlantic Canada. We are passionate people committed to top notch customer service, partnering with credit unions across the Atlantic provinces to enable the Atlantic credit union system and the communities they serve to thrive.
To that end, we are working with a dynamic group of credit unions from across Atlantic Canada who are building a human resources shared service model focused on creating an exceptional employee experience. This streamlined, efficient and data enabled approach to human resources will generate capacity for credit union managers to focus on big-picture issues and service strategies that make a difference for our members.
We are looking for a Payroll Specialist to join us at the ground level of this innovative and collaborative initiative. We’ve implemented a Risk Management & Compliance shared service and are now ready to start building the Human Resource arm. This is an exciting time for credit unions in Atlantic Canada, we strive to empower and support the growth of our employees in our team environment and we want YOU to join our team!
WHAT WE DO:
We provide a range of services, leadership and advocacy at the provincial, regional and national levels. Collectively, the 45 credit unions we support are entrusted to manage $6 billion in assets on behalf of 300,000+ members. League Savings and Mortgage Company is a subsidiary of Atlantic Central and has been a trusted credit union partner for over 50 years.
In the role of Payroll Specialist, you’ll report to the Manager, Rewards Administration & HR Systems and be responsible for administering the payroll cycle, including entry, transmission and submission of the payrolls and for performing other payroll related duties for customer organizations and the Atlantic Service Centre (ASC).
The ideal candidate will not only share our passion for customer service excellence, but also be team focused, and able to balance structure and flexibility while creating this new shared services team.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Preparing and processing transactions for payroll, commission payments, bonus payments, variable pay, special payments, adjustments, taxable benefits, severance payments, etc. for customer organizations in accordance with company policies, collective agreements, and legislative/regulatory requirements.
- Balancing payroll and benefits general ledger accounts on a monthly basis and reconciling discrepancies.
- Preparing and processing stop payments, direct deposit reversals and overpayment collections as required.
- Performing full cycle payroll administration duties related to managing processing schedules, running processing activities and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Staying current on regulations concerning payroll and assessing the potential impact of these changes on HR related services.
Payroll System Management and Maintenance
- Serving as the system administrator in the development, management and maintenance of the payroll database.
- Responding to inquiries, concerns or request from managers and employees on payroll related matters. Investigating and resolving payroll issues or escalating as appropriate.
- Providing input into and/or developing communication and educational materials on payroll related matters. Communicating payroll information.
- Providing support and guidance on how to use payroll modules.
Department and Company Support
- Ensuring proper flow and maintenance of employee data in collaboration with the Benefits Specialist and the HRIS Analyst.
- Participating in the development and ongoing maintenance of processes and procedures to improve upon the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the Rewards Administration & HR Systems function. Developing and maintaining procedures for the Payroll Specialist job.
- Assisting and backing up other members of the HR Shared Services teams as required and completing other projects and duties as assigned.
This position offers the ability to telecommute.
TRAVEL AND EVENING AND WEEKEND WORK:
This position requires occasional travel throughout Atlantic Canada and occasional evening and weekend work.
WHAT WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO HAVE:
The ideal candidate for this position will have a Bachelors’ Degree in Business or Accounting plus have a minimum of five years related payroll experience in a high volume, customer-focused environment processing multi-provincial and multi-entity payrolls; or have an equivalent combination of education and experience. A Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) designation will be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and knowledge:
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills to respond to inquiries and issues
- Proven ability to effectively work with diverse stakeholder groups and to interact with all levels of management and staff
- Advanced working knowledge of payroll processes and relevant legislation, source deduction and government remittance procedures.
- Advanced working knowledge of payroll taxation and employment legislation.
- Solid understanding of general accounting functions
- Knowledge of Human Resources practices and principles, employment legislation and regulations
- Demonstrated advanced proficiency in the use of an automated payroll system that is integrated with an HRIS system
- Strong data entry skills and demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail to ensure pay and other employee information is accurate and current
- Proven time management skills and ability in organizing work, setting priorities, and performing multiple tasks with conflicting priorities and rigid deadlines
- Proven strong analytical and problem-solving skills in identifying and resolving issues and discrepancies.
- Proven ability to accurately compile, input data and maintain data and ability to manipulate large data sets while maintaining data integrity
- Proven ability in maintaining a high level of discretion and confidentiality in handling confidential and personal information and in confidential personnel matters, situations and discussions
- Proven ability to work well under pressure
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced, changing environment while maintaining consistency of approach
- Proven ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Proven customer service orientation ability in delivering high quality customer service and establishing/maintaining effective and collaborative working relationships
- Demonstrated understanding of a shared services function and customer service principles
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong ability in the following behavioural competencies:
- Adaptability to Change
- Customer Service Orientation
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Teamwork & Cooperation
- Strategic Orientation
This is a permanent full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-5 ($49,371 – $58,083). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on November 22, 2019.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, including salary expectations, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)