Atlantic Central’s Halifax office is currently accepting applications for the position of Project Manager to be responsible for the simultaneous management of large, complex, enterprise or transformational initiatives involving cross-functional teams. The Project Manager will also manage the initiation, planning, coordination, execution, control, completion and closeout of specific projects in support of business strategy and objectives.
Reporting to the Director, Project Management and Premises, the Project Manager is responsible for:
o Manages multiple large, complex, enterprise or transformational initiatives with multi-hundred thousand dollar budgets involving cross-functional teams (2 to 20 people) that span multiple divisions ensuring they are effectively managed and executed within agreed-upon scope, timelines and budget, including but not limited to:
- Assigning specific tasks and responsibilities and providing direction, coaching, motivation and support to project team members.
- Managing relationships with strategic partners/suppliers and executive sponsors
- Working with large, diverse groups of stakeholders.
- Presenting reports on the progress, status, issues to steering committees (including the executive management team).
- Securing signoff of deliverables from stakeholders.
- Co-leading initiatives with a director level business lead.
o Manages the project initiation and planning duties for approval by the project sponsor and/or steering committee, including but not limited to:
- Facilitating the definition of project objectives, scope, deliverables and constraints in collaboration with the project sponsor.
- Developing the project charter, detailed work plan of the project tasks and sequence needed to successfully complete the project.
- Determining resource requirements (time, money, equipment, etc.) required.
- Planning and scheduling project tasks and events.
- Developing full scale integrated project plans.
- Identifying potential project issues and risks.
- Determining the objectives and measures the project will be evaluated on when it’s completed.
o Manages the overall project execution and control duties, including but not limited to:
- Co-ordinating and supporting the project team. Ensuring project team receives appropriate orientation to the project and their roles. Facilitating project team meetings. Overseeing the work of the project team to ensure it meets established standards.
- Managing the project budget and resource allocation.
- Tracking project deliverables including quality assurance to ensure project milestones are realized on time, on budget and of quality.
- Managing project issues/risks and/or escalating as required.
- Managing project suppliers and other external resources.
- Monitoring and reporting on project progress, including issues and risks, and recommended courses of action to address issues/problems.
- Recommending and implementing project changes and interventions to achieve project objectives.
- Managing project lifecycle documentation.
o Manages the closeout of the project, including but not limited to:
- Conducting post project evaluations and assessment of results.
- Holding project review meeting with the sponsor.
- Creating the closeout report.
o Acts as back-up to the Director, Project Management and the Project Management Officer, as required, on any projects he or she is directly managing.
o Completing other projects and duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a university degree in a related field (e.g. business, computer science, software engineering) and a designation in project management (e.g. PMP) plus have a minimum of 8 years relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to effective liaise with different stakeholders
- Exceptional planning skills and ability
- Proven ability to foresee events and challenges.
- Proven critical thinking and decision making ability
- Proven ability in facilitating groups of diverse stakeholders to draw out project objectives, risks and other critical elements.
- Proven ability in leading multiple projects simultaneously with teams of 2-20 people per team
- Proven organizational skills for coordinating and tracking the work of a project to ensure success.
- Proven analytical skills for reviewing information from multiple sources, identifying problems and recommending suitable alternatives.
- Strong grasp of Microsoft Project or other project management software
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Proven large-scale project management ability
- Proven ability to work with large, diverse groups of stakeholders and maintain effective working relationships
- Proven diplomacy and capability in handling sensitive situations
- In depth understanding of risk management concepts
- Proven time management skills
- Proven ability to demonstrate and champion flexibility during times of change
- Proven ability to work in a high-pressure environment and to demonstrate a high degree of tact and diplomacy
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong abilities in the following competencies:
- Building Relationships & Partnerships
- Change Leadership
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Team Leadership
- Developing Others
- Strategic Orientation
This is a permanent full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-9 ($76,067 – $89,490). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on June 6, 2016.
Interested candidates should forward their résumé, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
6074 Lady Hammond Road
Halifax, NS B3K 2R7
(When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)