Atlantic Central is looking for a Research Officer to join the Corporate Services team in our Halifax office. This position is responsible for providing high quality confidential research, project and administrative support to the Corporate Services Division (Corporate Services; Procurement; Legal Service; Policy, Procedures & Documents; Project Management; and Premises) and the Corporate Secretary. The incumbent also provides administrative support to the Compliance Officer and Director, Risk Management, assists with the development and maintenance of corporate policies, procedures and guidelines, and administers the corporate legislative compliance management system program.
Reporting to the Staff Lawyer, Corporate Services, the Research Officer is responsible for:
- Conducting legal and other research and analysis for the Corporate Services Division, including researching and monitoring changes to legislation; composing summaries and/or memorandums on various matters; and preparing and discussing appropriate resolutions and/or next steps.
- Assisting with the development and maintenance of corporate by-laws, policies, procedures, guidelines and handbooks.
- Providing Corporate Secretarial support.
- Assisting with the administration of legal documents and agreements.
- Completing legal/corporate annual and periodic regulatory filings with various federal and provincial regulators, preparing appropriate documentation as required by regulators, drafting correspondence, and tracking filing requirements and past filings.
- Administering and maintaining the corporate legislative compliance management system program.
- Providing compliance support to the Compliance Officer and Director, Risk Management including assisting with compiling and preparing quarterly compliance reports for the board of directors, maintaining and distributing the records and reports for auditing purposes and/or for review by the federal or provincial regulators, and updating and maintaining the various compliance review schedules and distributing them as required.
- Providing high level project support to the Corporate Services Division as required and preparing correspondence, training materials, presentations and reports, as required.
- Completing other projects and duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate for this position will have successfully completed a Bachelors Degree plus has 3-5 years relevant experience including research and procedure writing experience; or have an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate will also have the following skill set:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook).
- Demonstrated skills in conducting legal and other research.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability in providing training, using the principles of adult education, and facilitation.
- Demonstrated proficiency in creating, composing and editing written materials.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability in maintaining a high level of discretion and confidentiality in handling confidential and personal information.
- Demonstrated ability for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated initiative, including recognition of opportunities and acting on them.
- Familiarity with and understanding of corporate secretarial practices, legal terminology, principles, practices and procedures.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate strong competencies in:
- Adaptability to Change
- Customer Service Orientation
- Listening, Understanding and Responding
- Results Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Strategic Orientation
This is a full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-5 ($42,980 – $50,565). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
Applications will close on Wednesday, October 24, 2012. Interested candidates should forward their résumé, in confidence, to:
Human Resources Department
PO Box 9200, Station A
Halifax, NS B3K 5N3
Email: email@example.com (When sending applications by e-mail, please send in MS Word format)