Vice President, Finance
Valley Credit Union is a full-service financial institution with 7 branch locations, 65 employees, and over $220 Million in assets. Located in the beautiful Annapolis Valley, Valley Credit Union has an immediate need for a Vice President, Finance to join our Executive team.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Vice-President, Finance is responsible for providing executive-level direction and management oversight for financial planning, budgeting and budget analysis, accounting and business operations, finance controls and reporting, investment oversight, risk management and insurance, space planning and construction, facilities management, purchasing and contracts.
Key Result Areas:
Financial Management; Strategic Leadership & Oversight; Risk Management & Compliance and Human Resources Management
- Provides leadership in the development, implementation and maintenance of financial information and control systems including general ledger, budgeting, cost allocations, and other subsystems.
- Coordinates, implements, and maintains accounting information systems that track specific operational and financial data. Provides Board and Management with timely reviews of the credit union’s financial status and progress in various programs and activities and; prepares the regulatory reporting.
- Provides leadership to accounting personnel. Directly or indirectly supervises the activities of the accounting personnel in the processing and maintaining various accounting and financial records and processing related data.
- Prepares financial analyses and projections of credit union cash flow, investment strategies, banking relationships, debt management, etc. Conducts cost analysis, ratio and trend analysis, and other comparative examinations as appropriate. Provides recommendations and conclusions as appropriate.
- Advises management on desirable operational adjustments due to regulatory change, current economic issues, and related matters that may impact the financial stability and soundness of the credit union.
- Manages and monitors the credit union’s asset/liability program, monitoring the credit union’s liquidity position and related investment management.
- Directs preparation of the annual capital and operating budgets for the credit union, reviews budget proposals, and prepares necessary supporting documentation and justification.
- Participates in the development, implementation and maintenance of policies and procedures relating to accounting and financial statement reporting in keeping with generally accepted accounting principles and regulatory requirements and ensures compliance.
Strategic Leadership and Oversight
- Identifies and evaluates operational risks arising from significant projects, programs, products as well as Merger and Acquisition Transactions.
- Champions innovation & efficiencies within the team, challenging the status quo and ensuring delivery with quality, accuracy, and timeliness to internal customers.
- Participates in the development and implementation of objectives, short- and long-range planning for the credit union; and implements projects and programs to assist in the accomplishments of established goals.
- Shares strategic thoughts and insight on financial reporting impacts and overall business perspectives to the CEO and Executive Team.
- Acts as a role model for the Credit Union’s organizational culture by creating a positive impact at every touchpoint with employees, members and system partners.
- From a distance, makes a difference in the lives of our members by helping our employees make members’ financial dreams come true.
Risk Management & Compliance
- Strategic direction and oversight on credit union requirements relating to AML legislation – Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act (PCMLTFA), other federal regulatory Compliance (i.e. PIPEDA, FATCA, CASL, CRS) and Remediation.
- Provides the direction and oversight of the Credit Union’s Business Continuity Plan (BCP).
- Develops, implements, and monitors a strategic and comprehensive Enterprise Operational Risk Management Program (ERMP).
- Oversees internal audits and the compilation of written audit reports prepared for the Audit Committee.
- Provides expert guidance and valued assistance to the Audit Committee to help them carry out their company-related fiduciary duties.
- Develops the corporate strategic plan related to Risk Management and Compliance; Designs and implements the Regulatory Compliance Management (RCM) framework, annual plan, and budget; and, Monitoring performance results and takes corrective action as appropriate.
Human Resource Management
- Participates in interviews; setting performance objectives; providing ongoing coaching to reinforce positive behaviours and address performance issues as they arise; conducting performance reviews; addressing complaints and resolving issues.
- Recommends various personnel actions including, but not limited to, rewarding, promoting, re-assigning, discipline, or discharge. Conducts meetings to ensure personnel are well informed of changes in programs, policies, and procedures.
- Provides regular coaching and feedback to team members to enable them to have confidence in what they do, help them grow and drive to excel.
Minimum Hiring Qualifications and Experience:
The Vice President, Finance will have completed a Business Degree with an emphasis in Accounting plus have an Accounting Designation (CA, CMA, CGA) plus have a minimum of five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
If you are motivated to thrive professionally and a team player with the ability to excel in an ever-changing environment, this may be the rewarding opportunity you are searching for.
Please forward your resume and cover letter to Nicole Trentelman at: email@example.com ; Please Reference #001-VP-Finance in the subject line. Valley Credit Union thanks all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.