Coady Award for Community Involvement
The esteemed Coady Award honours the Atlantic credit union or caisse populaire that best exemplifies leadership, support and involvement in its community. The award (originally known as the Merit Award) has been presented annually since 1954, with the winner being selected by the CSR Committee of Atlantic Central’s Board.
The Coady Award is named after Dr. Moses Coady, a pioneer and key founder in the national co-operative movement who encouraged his followers to strive for a meaningful economic democracy that would permit the higher social activities of mankind. Credit unions reflect the values of Moses Coady by demonstrating their care for, and support of their local communities through co-operative economic development, education, philanthropy and involvement.
2012 Coady Award
Tignish Credit Union (located in Tignish and Alberton, PEI), was presented with the esteemed Coady Award for excellence in community involvement on April 11, 2013, during the Atlantic Central Annual General Meeting, in Halifax NS.
Tignish Credit Union demonstrates a deep understanding of the needs of their community through support in such areas as:
- Staff dedication of both time and money for such causes as Relay for Life, IWK Fun Day in the Park, a 50/50 draw to raised money which is then donated back to the community;
- Offering four $1,000 high school scholarships for members’ children, as well as prizes for elementary and junior high school students who demonstrate leadership qualities in school activities, and donating funds to school breakfast programs ($6,000 to date);
- Presentations to students on leadership qualities, the history of co-operatives in the local economy, and funding and financing businesses; and
- Environmental sustainability – installing energy saving fixtures, installing water coolers to replace plastic water bottles, using paper shredding systems to recycle used paper (full participants in the Island Waste Watch Program).
Honourable mention was given this year to LaHave River Credit Union (located in Bridgewater, NS) who recently received the 2013 Provincial Small Business Volunteer Award, an award presented annually to a small business that has made significant contributions through employee volunteerism as well as corporate support for community initiatives. They are also very dedicated to educating youth, teaching the importance of managing money wisely, and have dedicated countless hours to youth opportunity through Junior Achievement. LaHave River Credit Union are also committed to environmental sustainability through the provision of Eco-Loans, undergoing a recent energy efficiency update, and planting an “Incredible Edible Garden” where the food was harvested and shared among staff and members.
2011 Coady Award
Beaubear Credit Union, located in Miramichi, NB, was presented with the Coady Award for excellence in community involvement on April 13, 2012 in Charlottetown, PEI. Beaubear Credit Union demonstrates a deep understanding of the needs of their community through support of:
- Sports in the Miramichi area – Kidsport, the City of Miramichi Sports Wall of Fame, the 2011 Senior Men’s Baseball Tournament
- Community recreation activity night for youth
- Miramichi Transit – ensures 79,000 passengers have access to public transit. Beaubear Credit Union also won the 22nd Annual National Credit Union Award for Community Economic Development recognizing this transit system support.
Honourable mention was given this year to Tignish Credit Union (located in Tignish and Alberton, PEI) who are integrally involved in their small community. In addition to corporate support, credit union staff generously give time, energy and money to local and regional charities. They were the largest donor toward building the Credit Union Arena, and also take pride in sponsoring the Irish Bi-Centennial Celebration and the Easter Beef lottery raising $85,000 to date. Tignish Credit Union demonstrate extraordinary commitment to their local fishery co-ops and to their community.
All Atlantic credit unions and caisses populaires are congratulated for the extraordinary care, and significant support and commitment they show their communities.