Special 2012 IYC Bursary
2012 was designated the International Year of Co-operatives by the United Nations. In honour of this, Atlantic credit unions are pleased to sponsor eight (8) special one-time $1000 bursaries for Atlantic post-secondary students. Two (2) bursaries will be awarded per province.
- Open to students pursuing post-secondary education at an accredited university or college in Canada.
- Students must have lived in Atlantic Canada for at least one (1) year as of the application deadline.
- Two (2) bursaries will be awarded to students in each of the Atlantic Provinces: New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Student must demonstrate involvement in co-operative or credit union activities.
- Student must demonstrate community involvement and leadership.
- Student must demonstrate academic aptitude and commitment.
- Student must demonstrate financial need.
What does “demonstrate involvement in co-operative or credit union activities” mean?
Co-operative does not mean a co-op work term.
Co-operatives (and credit unions, which are co-operative financial institutions) are a special model of business, owned by the members and democratically operated by a local board of directors. Involvement can range from membership to serving on a committee or board. Some co-operatives are not-for-profits and employ volunteers, and that would count as well. Even working for a co-operative (such as MEC or Just Us) might count. At the very least, you ought to be familiar with what makes co-operatives different from other corporate business models, and be able to name a few near you.
If you’ve been to an ACYL camp or a course or workshop offered by your co-op council, please note that.
There are hundreds of co-operatives businesses across the Atlantic Provinces, and thousands across the country. You might begin by checking with your province’s co-operative council:
|Nova Scotia Co-operative Council||(902) 893-8966||http://www.novascotia.coop/|
|Co-operative Enterprise Council (NB)||(506) 227-9607||http://www.cecnb.ca|
|Prince Edward Island Co-operative Council||(902) 569-7322||http://peicc.coop|
|Newfoundland and Labrador Federation of Co-operatives||1-877-726-9431||http://www.nlfc.coop|
Atlantic Credit Unions IYC Bursary
c/o Atlantic Central
PO Box 9200
6074 Lady Hammond Road,
Halifax, NS B3K 5N3
Fax: (902) 484-6771
Copies of the application can be sent via email to email@example.com. Your submission from your email address will be considered to constitute an official signature.
Before mailing please ensure your application is accompanied by:
___ A copy of your post-secondary institution acceptance letter or other proof of enrolment
___ A transcript of your 2012 (or 2011) marks
___ A portfolio, if applicable
Deadline for receipt of applications is 1:00 pm, August 1, 2012
Awards will be announced September 15, 2012