Legal Services Assistant (Summer Student)
Atlantic Central is currently accepting applications for the position of Legal Services Assistant (Summer Student).
WHO WE ARE:
We are passionate people committed to top notch customer service and partnering with our credit unions across the Atlantic provinces to enable the Atlantic credit union system and the communities they serve to thrive.
We strive to empower and support the growth of our employees in our team environment and we want YOU to join our team!
WHAT WE DO:
Atlantic Central is the trade association for credit unions in Atlantic Canada, with offices in Halifax, Riverview, and Charlottetown. We provide a range of services, leadership and advocacy at the provincial, regional and national levels. Collectively, the 45 credit unions we support are entrusted to manage $6 billion in mortgages, loans and deposits on behalf of more than 300,000 Atlantic Canadians.
The company’s operations also integrate those of our subsidiary, League Savings and Mortgage Company, a federally regulated provider of wholesale banking services to credit unions, with assets under administration in excess of $2 billion. League Savings, a trusted credit union partner for over 50 years, is evolving its business model and is expanding into new markets and expected to experience significant growth over the next several years.
In the role of Legal Services Assistant (Summer Student), you will be responsible for providing high quality, confidential research (including legal research), and project support to several departments throughout the Company. This position also plays a key role in the development and maintenance of corporate policies, procedures, and guidelines.
Reporting to Legal Counsel, the Legal Services Assistant will be responsible for:
- Conducting research and analysis for Legal Services and other internal departments.
- Assisting with drafting agreements, and other legal documents.
- Assisting with the review and revision of corporate policies and procedures, as required.
- Assisting with research in developing areas of law for drafting new policies and revising existing policies and documents to reflect changes in the law.
- Performing legislative reviews as an integral part of the Company’s compliance schedule, policies, and procedures.
- Assisting the Legal Services Department with policy support, projects, and presentations as required.
- Completing other projects and duties as assigned.
TO JOIN OUR TEAM:
The successful candidate will have completed at least one year toward a Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from a law school through a recognized University. The successful candidate will also have the following skill set:
- Strong legal research and analysis skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional aptitude for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to conduct research and draft opinions with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to maintain a high level of discretion and confidentiality in handling confidential information and sensitive issues.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and initiative.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Applications (Excel, Word, Access & Outlook).
HOURS OF WORK:
This is a term position based out of our Halifax office, and set at 37.5 hours of work per week. The term for this position will be from May 24 to August 28, 2021. Please note: Subject to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, the successful candidate may be required to work remotely for periods of the term.
Applications will close on May 4, 2021.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter addressed to Dave Moorhouse, Director, Legal and Corporate Services and their résumé, in confidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Legal Services Assistant.