Payroll Services Specialist
Atlantic Central is currently accepting applications for a Payroll Services Specialist.
Who WE Are:
Atlantic Central is the trade association for credit unions in Atlantic Canada. We deliver quality results and offer a collaborative and community focused work environment in which to do it. Our employees’ wellbeing is a top priority, and we underscore that with flexible working arrangements, personal days, and even birthdays off, to enable employees to strike a balance that works for them. We strive to create an environment where all team members have opportunities for growth and feel welcome, valued, supported and connected.
If your values align with ours, consider joining our team as Payroll Services Specialist.
A TYPICAL DAY:
Working as part of a hybrid team in the HR department with six teammates, the Payroll Services Specialist is responsible for administering the payroll cycle, including entry, transmission and submission of the payrolls and for performing other payroll related duties for Atlantic Central and customer organizations and for performing group benefits administration support functions.
- Prepares and processes payroll transactions for payroll, commission payments, bonus payments, variable pay, special payments, adjustments, taxable benefits, severance payments, etc. for all customer organizations.
- Performs payroll administration duties such as developing pay date schedules, creating and maintaining employee profiles, preparing ROEs, maintaining filing, archiving and scanning for the payroll function, preparing and processing year end transactions, reporting and tax forms, auditing employee data, completing various regulatory reports and responding to auditor inquiries.
- Serves as the system administrator in the development, management and maintenance of the payroll database.
- Performs benefits administration support duties such as responding to benefits related inquiries related to benefits’ payroll deductions, monthly balancing benefits of general ledger accounts, processing short-term disability top-up payments as applicable, and processing the monthly invoices from the benefits carrier for payment.
- Responds to inquiries, concerns or requests from employees and managers on payroll related matters. Investigates and resolves issues or escalates as appropriate. Provides support and guidance on other payroll modules as required.
- Provides input into and/or develops communications and educational materials on payroll related matters. Communicates payroll information to customer organizations and/or employees.
- Participates in developing and ongoing maintenance of processes and maintaining the procedures to improve upon the overall operational effectiveness and efficiency of the Rewards Administration & HR Systems function. Develops and maintains procedures for the Payroll Services Specialist job for cross-training and business continuity plan purposes, manual for the incumbent’s job; and other general office administration.
- Serves as primary back-up to the Coordinator, Human Resources for benefits administration support during absences and peak periods as required. Assists and backs-up other members of the HR Department as required and completes other duties and projects as assigned.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL:
The Payroll Specialist will have successfully completed a Diploma in Business or Accounting plus have a minimum of three years related payroll experience in a high volume, customer-focused environment processing multi-provincial and multi-entity payrolls; or have an equivalent combination of education and experience. A Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) designation will be considered an asset.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
As the position requires servicing multiple customer organizations, the ideal candidate will be someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, and has the ability, finesse and organizational skills to balance multiple and simultaneous priorities and deadlines. Strong communication skills, and interpersonal capabilities are required to effectively respond to inquiries, address issues and work effectively with diverse stakeholder groups. A demonstrated understanding of general accounting functions, as well as advanced working knowledge of payroll taxation, employment legislation, HR practices, principles as well as experience working with a payroll system that is integrated HRIS system is equally important.
This is a permanent full-time position and is rated a Salary Level CU-5 ($55,161 – $64,895). Atlantic Central offers a competitive benefits package as well as the opportunity to participate in the Performance Sharing Incentive Plan.
As the position provides services to Atlantic Canadian Credit Unions, it will be based out of our Halifax, NS office, but offers the flexibility of remote or hybrid work.
Standard hours of work are Monday to Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, with the option for flexible work arrangements. The position requires occasional evening and weekend work.
Applications will close on May 12, 2023.
If this sounds like a fit for you, submit your application by clicking here.
About Atlantic Central
Atlantic Central is the regional trade association for more than 40 independent member credit unions across Atlantic Canada. We provide a range of financial services, leadership, and advocacy to support credit unions and the communities we serve to grow well. Our credit unions proudly serve nearly 293,000 members and play a significant role in the Atlantic Canadian economy.
We are proud to be a Certified B CorporationTM joining a global movement of people using business as a force for good. We are committed to making business decisions that are in the best interests of our employees, credit unions and their members.