Tax Associate (Contract), Port Saunders, NL
- Atlantic Edge Credit Union
- Hourly Rate Range: $18.06-$21.24
At Atlantic Edge Credit Union, we empower people and communities by providing financial services and advice built on honesty, fairness, and trust.
Atlantic Edge Credit Union is a full-service credit union serving over 17,500 members across Newfoundland and Labrador. Atlantic Edge was formed in 2022 with the amalgamation of Eagle River Credit Union and Leading Edge Credit Union, based on a foundation of shared values, community roots, and purpose-driven cultures.
Reporting to the Income Tax Program Manager, the Tax Associate is responsible for providing personal income tax services including income tax preparation and filing and providing tax advice. The incumbent is also responsible for business development and retention of taxation services and for cross-selling on the benefits of using other credit union products and services.
Main Responsibilities & Focus
- Prepares, files (paper, e-file, or cash out) and invoices personal income tax and benefit returns and adjustments. Contacts customer-owners to request any missing information required for income tax filing.
- Provides personal income tax advice to individuals.
- Conducts telephone and mail solicitation to promote tax services and to maintain existing business and to generate new taxation services business.
- Responds to customer-owner inquiries, requests, or complaints on personal tax issues; takes action to address issues (e.g., conducting research through the CRA website, call centre, tax guides, or other associates to find answers/solutions to tax related questions or issues) or refers the customer-owner to the appropriate credit union personnel as appropriate.
- Responds to inquiries from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) on submitted tax returns.
- Provides weekly update reports on tax services activity to the Income Tax Program Manager.
- Analyzes potential opportunities (e.g., the need for other credit union products and services) involved in each situation to further assist the customer-owner as well as increasing the credit union’s lending/deposit portfolio and use of products and services. Proactively cross-sells on the benefits of utilizing other credit union services.
- Performs a variety of general office administration including scheduling appointments with clients; maintenance of client records filing system; and other general office administration.
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have successfully completed an accounting diploma plus have 2-3 years’ experience completing and preparing individual tax returns; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The successful candidate will also have:
- Strong oral and written communication skills including presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven sales skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in computerized Taxation Programs (e.g., Profile Tax)
- Demonstrated working knowledge on income tax programs and CRA regulatory requirements
- Working knowledge of self-employed, fisherman and truck driver taxes
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Proven analytical ability and attention to detail
- Proven administrative skills
What’s in it for you?
- An exceptional workplace culture, and an opportunity to join an engaged and community-driven team
- Competitive compensation and benefit packages with performance-based incentives
- Flexible work arrangements including Flex Time, Telework, and Hybrid depending on the role requirements
- Generous benefit package including a flexible health and dental plan (minimum 60% employer paid), including life insurance, ADD, EAP, optional Critical Illness and Best Doctors
- 6% contribution with employer matching in a Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- An annual Northern Allowance of $4800
- Tuition reimbursement, training, and personal development opportunities
- We encourage regular manager-employee performance feedback and goal alignment through our employee performance management program
- Additional benefits, include but are not limited to paid volunteer, sick time and personal leave, reduced rates on employee loans/mortgages and no service fee banking
Interested in applying?
Atlantic Edge Credit Union values diversity in the workplace and we are committed to the principle of Employment Equity. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage the recruitment and promotion of aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and women, to ensure that they are equitably represented at all levels.
The successful candidate must be legally eligible to work in Canada, and where applicable have a valid work or study permit.
Please note that all offers of employment are conditional upon the acceptance of an Individual Fidelity Bond Application which includes a criminal record check and a credit check.
To apply, please submit your resume to email@example.com, noting the job title and location in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position has been filled.